Create a Tahitian Spa in the Comfort of Your Own Home
Set your mood
Candles always help to bring some peace into your environment. We’d recommend a Taha’a scented candle for the full Tahitian experience. Taha’a, which is one of the 118 Islands of Tahiti, is known locally as the Vanilla Island, because of the vast vanilla plantations and the gorgeous natural smell that surrounds the area. The scent is used in Tahitian spas and with a candle you can bring it right into your home.
Play soothing music
However you listen to your favourite music, find a chilled playlist and feel an immediate sense of calm.
Create your Tahitian Coconut and Monoi Body Exfoliator
Grated flesh of half a coconut (or half a cup of coconut flour)
3 tablespoons of Monoi oil (or virgin coconut oil)
- Mix the coconut flesh or flour with the oil in a bowl. If you use coconut flour, you will need more oil. Add your flour to the bowl and gradually add in the oil until the flour is completely covered. Leave to rest for 15minutes.
- Starting with your upper body, massage the exfoliator into your skin in circular motions. Gradually move down your body to your lower half. The scrub is gentle on your skin, but be careful not to rub too vigorously, particularly if you used coconut flour, as this can be slightly rougher.
- Leave for a few minutes and then step into a warm shower and gently massage the scrub off your body. Be careful not to let too much of the mixture go down the drain, aim to collect as much of the mixture and place it in the bin.
In Tahitian spas, customers lie on a massage table while a vichy shower rinses them. While that’s not readily available for most of us, the vanilla and coconut scents and relaxing music will transport you into true tranquillity.
Create your own Monoi Oil and Salt Foot Scrub
If your feet are also in need of some TLC, why not try a foot scrub for an all-round spa experience?
Quarter cup of Monoi Oil
1 tablespoon of honey
1 tablespoon of salt
- Combine all of the ingredients into a small mixing bowl
- Gently exfoliate each foot with the scrub for 3 minutes
- Rinse and pat them dry
- Rub in your favourite moisturiser and your feet will thank you!